A good lip scrub has become an essential element of my beauty routine and makes all the difference! There are a ton of awesome packaged ones out there, some of which I've put at the end of the post for you to check out, but for those of you who want to make your own keep reading! This DIY is so simple and you likely already have all of the ingredients in your kitchen!
What you'll need:
- 2 teaspoons honey (Antiseptic with healing properties. Better to use raw honey if you have!)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (Nourishing moisturizer with antioxidants.)
- 3 tablespoons sugar (Exfoliator. I used cane sugar, but it's totally up to you, depending on what you have on hand and how gentle or heavily exfoliating you want the scrub to be)
- Small drop of vanilla extract (optional)
- Dash of lemon juice (optional)
- A teaspoon of olive oil (optional)
- Blend the coconut oil and honey well until smooth.
- If you want a sweeter flavor, add a tiny drop of vanilla extract and blend in. At this point you can also add in a dash of lemon juice if you like as a brightener. (I would avoid adding lemon in the summer time as it acts as a sort of natural bleach when exposed to the sun.)
- Mix in the sugar until evenly distributed throughout the mix.
- For a silkier scrub, add in a few drops of olive oil
- Transfer the scrub to a small glass jar of your choice
- Make sure to label with the date. The scrub should keep well for about 2-3 weeks in the fridge.
To use: take a little bit of the scrub with your clean finger and rub it over your lips in a circular motion. No worries if you happen to get a bit in your mouth, it is natural (and also tastes ridiculously good :) Remove with a warm washcloth and your lips are perfectly prepped for a natural look or for your favorite lip color!
Tip: If you've got extra scrub or want to make some more, you can definitely use this as a face and body scrub as well. You will absolutely love it.
Not a DIYer? No worries! Here are some of my favorite store-bought scrubs for you to try out: